Sago Palm Toxicity in Dogs at The Scottsdale Veterinary Clinic

Few people understand how dangerous sago palms can be to dogs.  A few weeks ago we had a patient that ingested a portion of a sago palm tree and subsequently fell into liver failure.   These palms are small in size with the base having the appearance of a pineapple and the leaves are long and fern-like.   Dogs seem to sample these plants and all portions of the plant are very toxic.  At The Scottsdale Veterinary Clinic we highly recommend that these plants are not used around pets due to their extreme toxicity.

Dr Bill Langhofer.