What You NEED To Know About Peanut Butter and Your Pet!

pbxylitol

Does your dog go CRAZY for peanut butter? Do you use peanut butter as an occasional treat, to fill up their Kong toy, or maybe as a trick to get them to eat their medications? Well, if you’re like many people, the answer is probably YES! If your dog loves peanut butter, you definitely need to be cautious when using this tasty treat from now on! Some companies are now starting to add XYLITOLa common sugar substitute – into their peanut, and other nut, butters. XYLITOL, while safe for human consumption, can be extremely TOXIC and potentially fatal to our beloved canine companions! Due to the way dogs metabolize it, XYLITOL can cause a life-threatening drop in blood sugar (hypoglycemia) and potentially lead to liver damage, and even death. Symptoms of XYLITOL toxicity include: staggering/difficulty standing or walking (ataxia), weakness, collapse, difficulty waking up and even seizures. XYLITOL is more commonly found in candies, sugar-free gums and some desserts. XYLITOL aside, it is important to get into the habit of reading the ingredients lists of not only the foods YOU eat, but the foods you give to your pets, as they can also include a high fat or sodium (salt) content. If you suspect your dog has eaten XYLITOL, it is very important you call a Pet Poison Control Hotline or contact your Veterinarian as soon as possible! Here at TSVC, we are open 24 hours 7 days a week, INCLUDING all holidays, 480-945-8484!

Interested in making your own? Check out this homemade nut butter recipe from our friends at show me the yummy (check out the additional recipe notes, at the bottom, on how to make it more dog-friendly)! Their test taster, Teddy, seems to LOVE this recipe! 

*Photo courtesy of Trevor & Jennifer at Show Me The Yummy*

.